Website Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Our mission is to inspire people to eat healthy, sustainably grown food and to steward our natural resources for future generations.
WHAT WE DO
The Center is located on 230 acres of forest and grassland bordered by Western Washington’s Snoqualmie River. We use this mixed landscape to:
Produce food. We cultivate 30 acres of mixed vegetable crops using agro-ecological principles and engage in research to inform conservation agriculture practices.
Grow native plants. We operate a native plant nursery that produces plants for habitat restoration projects, educational gardens, and urban landscapes, and conducts research on native plant propagation using sustainable growing methods.
Connect children to nature. We offer environmental education programs for children pre-K thru high school to build their comfort in the outdoors and provide them with opportunities to learn about the links between agriculture, conservation, and the environment.
Restore and sustain habitat. We carry out conservation projects and research to learn how humans can use land to our benefit while protecting biodiversity.
The Seasonal Farmers Market Staff assists the Farm Sales and Program Coordinator in all aspects of Farmers Market vending. This position is responsible for booth set up, customer relations and direct sales, cash handling, inventory record keeping, and promotion of Oxbow, our Member program, and Oxbow events at two weekly farmers markets.
Farmers Market Vending
At both a Saturday and Sunday weekly market:
- Participate in loading of farmers market vehicle with all product, materials, and display supplies needed for the Farmers Market
- Set up and tear down farmers market displays in a timely and organized manner
- Perform all direct retail sales with customers, with a focus on cultivating positive customer relationships
- Manage inventory of product on display and restock, cull, and reorganize as needed throughout the market day
Sales and Inventory Record keeping
- Throughout the market day, accurately track inventory, sales, and shrink to inform future harvests
- Participate in reporting of sales accurately in line with Oxbow’s Cash Handling procedure
- Ensure Farm objectives, strategies and messages are aligned with and supportive of Oxbow’s mission and strategic plan
- Work cross-functionally with program teams to ensure efficient and effective communication and operations
- Represent Oxbow in a positive, professional manner, engaging with and educating visitors about Oxbow’s mission and programs
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned by the Farm Manager
- Excellent customer service
- Available to work 16-20 hours every weekend June thru October
- Physical dexterity and agility necessary in all aspects of the job for safety and efficiency
- Consistent attention to detail
- Strong back; able to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 50 lbs.
- Work well independently and in a team setting
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Ability to give direction and act in lead role when necessary
- Clear, consistent communication
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Flexible, creative, and able to perform well in diverse conditions and under pressure
Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional.
The Oxbow Farm is part of a larger non-profit organization. A commitment to Oxbow’s overall mission and working as part of a team is critical.
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, disability, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is a seasonal, part-time position, paying $14-$15 per hour, with some paid time-off and access to food from the fields.
Farm and Garden Manager
Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered. Email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Please write Farmers Market Staff in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
Position is open until filled, applications received by Sunday, May 19, 2019 will have first consideration. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis after May 19th until all positions are filled.
To see this job posting, and our other open jobs, on our website, click here.
To apply for this job please visit www.oxbow.org.