Website Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Our mission is to inspire people to eat healthy, sustainably grown food and to steward our natural resources for future generations.
WHAT WE DO
The Center is located on 230 acres of forest and grassland bordered by Western Washington’s Snoqualmie River. We use this mixed landscape to:
Produce food. We cultivate 30 acres of mixed vegetable crops using agro-ecological principles and engage in research to inform conservation agriculture practices.
Grow native plants. We operate a native plant nursery that produces plants for habitat restoration projects, educational gardens, and urban landscapes, and conducts research on native plant propagation using sustainable growing methods.
Connect children to nature. We offer environmental education programs for children pre-K thru high school to build their comfort in the outdoors and provide them with opportunities to learn about the links between agriculture, conservation, and the environment.
Restore and sustain habitat. We carry out conservation projects and research to learn how humans can use land to our benefit while protecting biodiversity.
Oxbow Education (“OxEd”) is seeking Kids’ Farm Summer Camp Instructors to lead summer camp groups for 5 week-long day camp sessions, and to assist with occasional delivery of summer field trips and other programming as needed between camp weeks. Summer Camp Instructors will lead groups of 9-12 campers, ages 4-11, during day camp sessions. As a Camp Instructor you will facilitate a successful camp experience for campers by keeping them engaged with a variety of educational games and activities, while being responsible for their safety and a majority of their daily schedule.
Summer Camp instructors will develop and lead nature- and farm-based activities, and will have the opportunity to learn more about organic farming and environmental education. This position would be a great fit for an energetic person who enjoys and appreciates the outdoors and who has experience leading summer camp groups and facilitating outdoor games and activities.
Camp instructors must be available to work ALL training and camp weeks, as outlined below. Between camp weeks there may be opportunities to lead summer field trips, work on farm projects in our Kids’ Farm, and lead programs on Oxbow Saturdays and other public event days as needed.
Two weeks of our day camp will feature concurrent camp sessions: one session for campers ages 4-6 (Dig In!) and one simultaneous session for a smaller group of pre-teen campers ages 11–13 (Dig Deeper). Camp instructors will contribute to programming and mentorship of the pre-teen camp, and at times will welcome them into their small camp groups to support the early learners with farm, culinary, or nature connection activities.
- Lead your group of campers, ages 4-6 or 7-11, in farm- and nature-based camp activities.
- Ensure safety of campers at all times.
- Contribute to planning and prep in advance of summer camp sessions, typically the Friday before the upcoming camp session is used as a planning day on site at Oxbow.
- Plan and lead most day-to-day activities of your summer camp group.
- Facilitate games, songs, stories, and activities.
- Participate in all-camp activities & farm tasks.
- Behavioral management of campers and parent communication.
- Work with and give direction to volunteer(s) assigned to your group, or the pre-teens during camp collaboration times.
- Setup and cleanup of daily camp activities.
- Participate in daily planning and debriefing meetings, and in team-building activities that contribute to the development of the education team.
- Document camp sessions using personal cell phone or digital camera, uploading photos at the end of each camp week.
- Previous summer camp instructor experience preferred.
- Experience facilitating educational outdoor games and activities.
- Ability to do light physical work, including standing for several hours, squatting/kneeling.
- Experience working with children, especially ages 4-11.
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity when necessary, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- High-energy and playful; exceptionally positive attitude.
- Self-driven, motivated, timely.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Flexible, creative, and able to perform well in diverse conditions and under pressure.
- A musical inclination, video or photo-editing skills, theatrical experience, or any other sort of artistic expertise is a plus! Please make note of any skills you have in your cover letter.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional.
To be considered, candidates must be available for ALL of the following camp weeks:
Staff training: June 12 – 21, exclusive of Sat/Sun
Session 1: June 24 – 28
Session 2: July 8 – 12
Session 3: July 22 – 26
Session 4: July 29 – Aug 2
Session 5: Aug 12 – 16
OxEd is part of a larger non-profit organization. A commitment to Oxbow’s overall mission and working as part of a team is critical.
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, disability, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is a seasonal, full-time position, paying $14-$15 per hour , with some paid time-off and access to food from the fields.
The OxEd Program Manager, with direct oversight from the Camp Director
Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered. Email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Please write Camp Instructor in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
We are looking to fill 2 camp instructor positions. Applications are due Monday, February 18, 2019 for first consideration. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis after February 18th until both positions are filled.
To see this job posting, and our other open jobs, on our website, click here.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com